Wednesday

Behind the Scenes - Interview with Paper Sweeties

In the Paper Crafting industry, it always amazes me how talented Designers are! I love finding out the process behind their designs as well as a little about them!




Today we are interviewing Debbie Marcinkiewicz, Owner/Illustrator/Designer of Paper Sweeties. You will want to check out her Blog at http://papersweeties.com/category/blog/



How/Why did you get started Designing your own Stamp Line?   As a young girl, my favorite thing to do was play with paper dolls.  I can remember losing myself for hours on end playing make believe with my favorite little paper pretties!  Now that I’m all grown up, I miss those days and remember them so fondly!  I was thinking one day that it would be much fun to have paper dolls to stamp with that have coordinating outfits that you can interchange between the dolls to be able to dress them up for different occasions!  To be able to combine my new love for paper crafting with one of my old favorites of paper dolls was a dream come true for me!

Where can we find Paper Sweeties? http://papersweeties.com

What did you do before Designing Paper Sweeties?  I went to college to become a Court Reporter.  I worked in the legal field for several years before I had my children.  After beginning our family, I became a stay-at-home mom, but always had some kind of part-time business to serve as a creative outlet and bring in some extra income.  Just previous to launching my Paper Sweeties company2012, I had a business where I handmade doll clothes and quilts and sold them in local consignment boutiques!  I really do have a passion for all things girly and frilly and still love to play with my dolls!


Family?  I have been happily married for 27 years and together we have two sons who both attend college presently.

What is your Favorite Stamp set with Paper Sweeties?  I LOVE them all, but if I had to choose just one that I find myself turning to all the time it would have to be the Little Wishes set from the accessory line!  From the doll line, my favorite is Emma and I love to dress her in the It’s Tea Time outfit!

What is coming up with Paper Sweeties? We are attending the Stamp Scrap Art Tour show in Columbia, SC Valentine’s weekend!  Each month on the 15th we release new products, so we will have some new goodies in the shop Valentine’s weekend as well!  We have four days of designer’s blog hops during our release week festivities each month beginning on the 13th and continuing through the 16th


How Many Employees do you have?  No salaried employees yet, but my best friend attends all the shows with me and is very hands on helping me with many of the ‘behind the scenes’ things like packing new stamps and dies, bundling seam binding and baker’s twine, packaging sequins and paper straws, prepping supplies for make & takes and classes.

How did you feel when you made your first sale!?  ELATED!  Over the moon excited!  It was a long process from design concept to the launch of the company – more than two years, so when we received our very first sale, I can honestly say I welled up with so much emotion and my cup ran over with pride and excitement.  Each sale that comes in is so very special to me!  I am completely blown away by our fabulous customers and feel completely honored that they like my stamps ‘enough’ to purchase them and create such beautiful paper crafted things with them!!

Describe your design process!  I love Pinterest and visit the boards there regularly to spark my creativity!  Usually I come up with a ‘theme’ for the next release and then go from there as far as coming up with designs for the new stamps and dies.  Some of our stamp ideas have come from customers sending in ideas or requests for stamps they would like to see!  We LOVE to hear from our wonderful customers and fans!

When designing a card, how do you approach your projects?  I like to start with either a sketch or inspiration challenge as a spring board for the main concept of my cards.  There are so many wonderful monthly challenges, including one hosted by Paper Sweeties!

Your designs are very Shabby Chic! Would you say this reflects your personality? Why or why not?  Yes!  I love all things old, antique and shabby!  One of my favorite things to do when I am not paper crafting is going to antique shows!  I live in a pink Victorian home and have collected antiques for my entire marriage.  I love old linens and lace and adore incorporating them into my paper crafting projects!  But, with that said, I love to create fun, whimsical, bright and cheery cleaner projects too!


Should we expect any surprises from Paper Sweeties? I love that you have branched out the Paper Sweeties Product lines!   Well, as a matter of fact, YES!  We will be launching a brand new fun little something Valentine’s weekend while we are away at the SSAT show.  Stay tuned to the blog to find out what it is!

What are your favorite new products?  We recently expanded our embellishment line (Bits & Bobs) to include not only our trade-mark tea-stained seam binding, but now we also offer fun, striped paper straws, yummy baker’s twine and gorgeous, unique, flower-shaped iridescent sequins – stunning!!

What are your top 5 Paper Crafting Supplies/companies/products/tools?  Oh my, there are so many that I love, but the top tools I couldn’t live without would have to be my Big Shot cutting/embossing machine, my hot glue gun, my Janome sewing machine and my Fiskars trimmer/scorer!  The top products I couldn’t live without are sequins, buttons, baker’s twine, seam binding and paper doilies!  And the top company … well, that one is easy … Paper Sweeties!!

If you could have any job in the world what would it be?  My dream for many years was to own my own business … and it would definitely be a bonus if it had something to do with the paper crafting industry.  In August of 2012 when I launched my Paper Sweeties company, it was truly a dream come true for me!  I wake up each and every day feeling so lucky to be doing something that I love so dearly and sharing my passion for everything paper and glue with so many other people in the world that share this same passion!


Thank you Debbie for sharing your Creative Passion with our Readers! 




 photo HomespunEleganceSignature7_zps96c24c19.png
Post a Comment

LinkWithin