Monday

DIY Ribbon Holder

I have needed a Ribbon Holder for some time now, but what I've seen in stores just were not going to cut it! I have so much ribbon! Currently, it is being stored in to wicker baskets that I have to scrounge through every time I am looking for ribbon, weather a specific item, or just something to match a current project. I solicited help and drew a design over the holidays of what I thought I wanted, but, then, thought, well, I can certainly do this!! So, off to Home Depot I went! 


*How I have been storing my ribbon

THE SHOPPING:

What you will need:
2x4x12 wood cut to (2) 2.5 feet (2) 3.5 feet
2.5 inch screws
Drill Gun with Phillips head and bits increasing from 1/8 mm to 3/8 inches
7 3/8 inch dowels
Sanding Paper
I thought there might need to be much coercion to get the pieces cut to the sizes that I needed, but they will happily cut them to your specifications right their while you wait!! I grabbed a 2x4x12 for under 3 bucks and asked him to cut two @ 2.5 feet and 2 @ 3.5 feet!

Prior to this excursion I had measured the openings in my ribbon - The majority of them are a little over 3/8 inches or more, so I decided that would be the size of dowels that I needed. I grabbed 7 of them, thinking that I would likely end up spacing them about 6.5 - 7 inches apart.
Then off to the sanding paper. I actually got a foam block to soften the edges where the wood was cut to avoid any little fingers - or mine - getting any unwanted splinters! And later, I will use it to lightly scuff the surface to allow the paint to adhere when it comes to decorating!! 
THE CONSTRUCTION:
 
First, I laid the wood out how I wanted it constructed. I did not want to lose any ribbon space, so I wanted my 2.5 foot pieces to the "main" pieces. I placed all the boards as shown below onto another 2x4 to note where I wanted the screws. I pre-drilled a hole with a 1/16 bit on all 4 corners. Then drilled in my screws. This helped with "guiding" the screw in (This is a 3 inch screw shown - use a 2.5!! TRUST ME :) 
Pictured below is what they will look like with one side completed. This is so easy!! I promise I was able to complete the frame-work while my Son was napping, and when he woke, he was MORE than happy to help get the first dowel in place! It was so much fun - So if you are thinking, no way can I do this 1; I'm a single mom 2; I don't have the time 3; I don't have the tools - I bet you do!! I was really intimidated at first but I LOVE it!!

Here is the frame - Note I am using a 2x4x4 inch piece on the top and bottom in two places and screwing them into the studs in our basement. Currently it is the only options that I have. When I have a studio, or a room to myself to craft, I may adapt the construction to fit what I need then.
****YOU COULD EASILY ASK THE SALES REP IN THE WOOD DEPARTMENT OF YOUR LOCAL HOME GOODS STORE TO CUT 4 PIECES OF WOOD WITH 45 DEGREE ANGLES AND HAVE IT AS A STAND ALONE PIECE OR DO AS I AM AND USE 4 (four) 2x4x4 PIECES AND SCREW THEM TO BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE FRAME AND INTO THE WALL*****

The dowel fits snugly. I did not want it turning, just the one spool of ribbon that I was using. I used a little hack saw to cut off the excess and sanded it smooth.
 
You do not want to use any type of adhesive on the dowels. You will want them to be removable so that you can put on new spools of ribbon as you get them, and pull of the ones that you use!

 **Here it is with all but two of the dowels in place and some ribbon on!! I LOVE IT! What do you think?!?
Obviously still not complete!! Waiting for my Son to take another nap :) Please leave comments!! How are you storing your ribbon!!?


Post a Comment

LinkWithin