Thursday

DIY Color Your Own - Book Marks!!

So, I got this idea while browsing the Oriental Trading Companies website. If you have never been to their site, they have a TON of items that you can get in bulk for goody bags, parties, even scrapbooking and weddings. They really do have it all! Anyhow, I was looking at some of there Halloween clearance items. I buy TONS of my items from clearance for the following years holiday. Some times the product is not even really related to that holiday. For instance, after this past Halloween, I got Play-Doh marked down on 75% off clearance because the packaging (But not the product inside) had Halloween pictures on it - it was supposed to be an alternative to passing out candy. :) SCORE FOR MY GOODY BAGS!!!

Some other items Wacky Glasses for kiddos, and some candy dispensers. The rest was Halloween related, but will be used in the Goody bags for next year, and they include light up necklaces, stickers, tattoos, puzzles, stamps, spiders and bat rings, pencils, notepads and more! YIKES I DIGRESS :) Back to OTC......

So I was on their site and they had color your own bookmarks. 24 for under 2.00 if I remember correctly. Not a bad price by any means, but I thought, well I am sure I could make these with my Cricut and I had just got in my ink cartridges and wanted to try them out!





I used my Design Studio and the Tag, Bags, Boxes and More Cartridge Page 93 tag in Shadow Feature with hole. I adjusted it to 2x6 and put four on the page. I then saved that page as bookmark1. Then I got out my Doodlecharms cartridge and added Snowflakes, Rudolph, Santa Claus, Christmas Trees and Stockings so that they fit within the lines of the bookmark, and deleted the bookmark only. SAVE AS - Bookmark2. 



So you should have Bookmark1 - with only the outline of the bookmark and the hole for your ribbon; and bookmark2 what will be printed (not cut) on your bookmark.



Since I was doing multiple of these I broke out more 12x12 mats, as I did not want to go back and forth between my blade and my ink. Do all of your cuts first, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CUTS!!! I learned this very quickly DUH :) 

Then put the mat back in go to your saved bookmark2 file place in your ink cartridge and hit "cut" in your Design Studio Program. Obviously it is not going to cut, but print. :) Once you have done as many as you want, then peel off of your adhesive mat and tie off with a ribbon. 



If you wanted to be a little less lazy than I was being you could do more layers and colors by just adding more files. For instance;  Bookmark3 could be blue snowflake, bookmark4 red stocking, and so on.  

I can only IMAGINE the things I could do with the Cricut 2 with the Imagine!!! Ugh My 30th birthday was a couple of weeks back. I was dropping hints like you wouldn't believe. <SIGH> Hopefully I will win one one of these days!!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin